Monday, April 21, 2008

BZZZ!!

I must be a glutton for sleep deprivation, drinking 2 shots of espresso at 10:00pm on a work night.

I've had an awesome jam-packed weekend and even though today was pretty hectic, I had an excellent night!

I attended the Gene Baur reading & booksigning at the Borders in Buckhead this evening. It was the first animal rights related reading i've been to (the last one I planned on going to was canceled a few days beforehand), so I wasn't sure what to expect. I enjoyed every moment and was so glad I went. Gene Baur is obviously very knowledgeable on the subject and was so well spoken and just a delight to listen to. There were quite a few folks there, including a class from Morehouse college, so it was really a great turnout. Some good questions were asked afterwards and I left feeling very elated and ready to tackle the world (I also came home to some pamphlets I ordered from COK - so anyone who wants to go leaflet with me sometime here in Atlanta, let me know!).

I purchased his book beforehand and he signed it with a very nice message! It was great to talk to him for a little while and thank him for coming to Atlanta.

I didn't realize until the last moment that I had my camera with me, so I didn't have time to adjust the settings...so please forgive me for the dark, out of focus shots I took.

As for our weekend, we were out and about for most of it, so I wasn't doing too much cooking or baking at home (though I did make 2 dozen peanut butter cookies from the Damn Tasty Vegan baking cookbook Thursday night). We ate out at Soul Vegetarian Friday night and as usual, left completely satisfied and very full. I had my favorite meal there, BBQ cauliflower w/ macncheese and collard greens. YUMM. Mondo had the crispy tofu cutlets w/ sweet potatoes and collard greens. We both had some of their delicious vegan chocolate ice cream afterwards. I don't have any photos of what we ate, since it's kind of dark in there in the evenings, but trust me - it's amazing.

Saturday afternoon we went to the Organic market being held behind Sevenanda and stopped by the booth that Dulce Vegan and Cosmos Vegan Shoppe were sharing. I kicked myself after we left for not getting a photo of Howell from Dulce Vegan and Leigh from Cosmos together! I bought a SUPERB lemon scone from Dulce Vegan and Mondo got some scrumptious ginger lemon cupcakes. We contemplated buying more but decided we shouldn't overdo it! I bought some tasty Pure bars from Leigh along with some vegan jerky bites that we hadn't tried before. We cruised around East Point later, then went and bought some flowers to plant in the front yard and came home and used up the last of our Teese for pizza!! I really need to go to the farmers market, so our pizza consisted of what we had on hand: roasted peppers, tomato sauce, spinach pesto and teese. It was so simple and delicious that we made 2 and polished them off that night!

Sunday was adoptions and we had a few new dogs looking for their forever home. This is Bean, she was found by a police officer on the side of a busy road in Decatur. Doesn't she look like a pinto bean?! She looks a little scruffy in this photo, but this was taken when she was first brought into the vets office that helps the rescue group after being found. 4 weeks later she now has a beautiful, shiny coat and healthy teeth. She is very sweet, playful and loves to give kisses! Don't you just wanna take her home?!

I hope everyone out there had a lovely weekend, too! Spring is definitely sticking around here in Atlanta, so i'm looking forward to spending more time outdoors and more time trying new recipes in the kitchen!

6 comments:

Celine said...

Bean [and the pizza] is [are] so adorable!!

Vegan Invasion! (Ashley Nicole) said...

Isn't she?! If she wasn't already being fostered by another volunteer, I so would have taken her home with me!

Leigh said...

She totally looks like a pinto bean. So cute!

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

Damn you & your Teese! I am so jealous--we still do not have that stuff around here & I need to try it! :) I hope you are enjoying every last morsel, and thinking of me while you do so.

That book reading sounds really fun! I love stuff like that.

Jes said...

Aww, what a cute pup!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I recently got Gene's book as well. Have you started reading it?