Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gene Baur, Baked Goods & Two Dinners

I am really excited about attending this! Anyone else going?

Well, I ended up making blueberry muffins last night as opposed to Tuesday night. I was really tired and wanted to finish watching 'Night of the Comet' with Mondo. I think the muffins turned out sucky, but Mondo ate 2 last night, then 2 more in the middle of the night and 2 this morning. I guess he liked them. I wasn't paying attention while making them and forgot to add baking powder, so they ended up being short and dense. I tried to salvage them by making a fattening topping, which consisted of EB, brown sugar and a little flour. It helped, apparently.

There was some purple cabbage in the fridge that I had forgotten about and looked like it was about to go bad. I searched for a yummy recipe in a cookbook I checked out from the library and found a wilted sesame cabbage dish. Amazing.


It turned out so nice that I couldn't stop snacking on the cabbage while I was preparing the tofu. It was a really simple to make too and was dressed with just sesame oil, rice vinegar, grated ginger, tamari and sesame seeds. Mmmm! I started to cook some cranberry beans, but I have a short attention span and was chasing my dogs around the house and let them burn (the beans). Oh well. I pan fried some tofu I had been pressing for an hour and then let it chill in some peanut sauce for awhile. Very tasty!

Tonight I decided to try out a new recipe for chocolate chip cookies that involves Tofutti Cream Cheese. And then I wonder why I keep gaining weight...hmm.

These turned out so awesome!! They were very soft and rich, yumm! I wish I would've added walnuts, but I completely forgot I had some in the freezer. I will definitely make these again. Luckily I live with a food vacuum, so I'm sure he'll have eaten all of them before I can eat anymore.

I really think this will be one of the last things I bake for awhile (I've packed on some pounds). It's a good thing they turned out so well; I can go out with a bang!

On to dinner! We were craving tempeh wingz so I decided to make that tonight, but with BBQ sauce in place of hot sauce. I realized I didn't have a lot of panko bread crumbs left, but that's cool - make do with what I've got! They turned out tasty as usual and we had some basic sides: mashed potatoes and corn.

Ahhh. A very satisfying 2 days worth of food. I leave you with another shot of the cookies and another shot of my sassy little Ruby Lynn (I swear P-Bo, my dachshund, is going to hate me if I don't put a photo of him up here soon!).


5 comments:

textual bulldog said...

ooh, i have a purple cabbage about to go bad. what cookbook is your recipe from? it looks awesome. i have recently decided i need more cabbage in my life, so i'm on the hunt for good recipes...

Ashley Nicole said...

It was from "The Vegetarian Family Cookbook". I blended two recipes together to make this. Basically I steamed the cabbage for 2-3 minutes and mixed 1/3 cup rice vinegar w/ 4 tablespoons of sesame oil, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon of agave nectar, 1 tablespoon of tamari, 1 tablespoon of grated ginger and 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds. I poured that over the cabbage and let it sit covered for a few more minutes. It was tender but with a nice crunch and a wonderful flavor!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I hate when I'm unhappy with a baked good- wouldn't you know it, guys always still want to eat them!
Cutie dog alert!

pleasantly plump vegan said...

i love cabbage! i like it steamed with a little salt. so simple, put tasty.
those cookies look/sound amazing! keep them away from me cos i'll eat half of them!
yr baby dog is adorable.

Cakespy said...

I can't get over those cookies. I never would have thought of the tofu cream cheese, but it gives baked goods such a pleasing rich flavor and moist texture, so count me in! I'd be a happy little fat girl with a tray of these in front of me. And the wilted cabbage is making my eyes cross in happiness.