Monday, April 7, 2008

Soupity soup

Good soup sure puts a smile on my face! It seems like such a simple dish, but it can be so flavorful and filling. I enjoy making soups even more now with my new trusty immersion blender!!

I made yummy Pumpkin Leek soup tonight, from the recipe Vegilicious! posted on her blog awhile back. This is my second time making it and it came out so much better this time around. Last time I peeled the potatoes, because I wanted the soup to be creamier - but this time I left the skin on (for the extra vitamins) and it came out so thick and wonderful!

I also pureed the leeks I had sauteed seperately into the soup, because Mondo asked me to last time. That made a difference, too. This became one of the most flavorful soups I have ever made; Mondo declared it to be 'the best soup ever'.

We had some coconut milk leftover from a lentil dish I made last week, so I was interested in swirling a bit in to see how it would taste. I don't think i'll do it again; it wasn't bad - I just don't think the flavors jive so well. Plus it didn't make a pretty swirl like I had hoped it would!

Another great thing about making soup is all the leftovers it leaves you! We always brown bag it for lunch at work in order to save some dough, so this made enough for 2 days worth of lunch for both of us. Score!

I think Mondo is pretty pumped about me having a blog. He already wants to make his amazing (and sugar filled) Café au lait this weekend and photograph it for the blog. He can make some pretty rad cinnamon designs for it! I can't wait to see what he comes up with now!

5 comments:

kindkitchen said...

Looks so creamy and delish! I can't wait for more posts on your blog :)

pleasantly plump vegan said...

that sounds & looks great! isn't immersion blenders like the best kitchen tool ever? i'm not even sure how i cooked without it before. it makes creamy soups possible without "creamy" additives.
can't wait to see what you make next! Mondo's coffee sounds pretty amazing. he may have to make us one some day soon!

Jes said...

It's rad to find another Atlanta vegan blogger out there. The soup looks great!

Ashley Nicole said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I wish I knew how to put my reply directly to each comment, but i'm still figuring this thing out!

My immersion blender has seriously become by new best friend! I use it for everything, especially since it came with a wisk and mixing cup and small food processor attachment!

I added kindkitchen and jes (cupcake punk) to my blogroll!! Yay, thanks everyone!! You are all awesome!!

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

I LOVE my immersion blender. It's a totally brilliant invention--so handy & easy to use!

Your soup looks delicious! I love your dishes & the flower pot, too. :)