Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Busy Busy Busy


The chiweenies are at another foster home now; I could only commit to three weeks right now because of our hectic schedule, but it was GREAT to have them with us for a little while and I know I'll see them on Sundays at adoptions (plus their foster mommy only lives five minutes from me)!

Mondo had his friend Gio over on Monday to talk motorcycles (Mondo has a 1973 Honda CB350F), so I baked a huge batch of cookies for them to snack on and for Gio to take back to his awesome wife Kim and their daughter Caoilinn.
Later on I finally made the
Curried Eggplant Soup from FatFree Vegan Kitchen. Wowza! We had 2 bowls of this stuff and folks were asking us for the recipe the next day at work (we brought leftovers with us). It definitely ranks as my favorite soup now and Mondo said it's right behind his fave, Pumpkin Leek from Vegilicious.


I'm so PUMPED for the Indie Craft Experience at Centennial Olympic Park next Saturday, June 7th. I missed it last year and am so not going to let that happen again! The most awesome Becky from Glue&Glitter has asked a few Atlanta vegans to donate some of our tasty vegan food for the ICE pre-party, being held at Youngblood Gallery on Friday, June 6th. Idalys from Dulce Vegan, Lori from Pleasantly Plump Vegan and myself are providing the treats and snacks for the event and I am spending most of my free time trying out recipes to find the right ones for the party. So far I've narrowed it down to four dips, some stuffed mushrooms, a cheez ball (yeaah, you know what i'm talking about!) and some mexican tortilla cups.


I tested out one of the dips tonight, a spinach-artichoke dip that I found on VegWeb. So. Good. No fake cheese in it (like every other recipe called for). We killed about half of it tonight and Mondo wants to take some with him tomorrow as a snack. I'm so pleased it turned out well. I added five cloves of garlic vs. the three listed, along with some red pepper flakes and only put in half of the artichokes called for. I used marinated artichokes, so it helped make the dip extremely flavorful. I can't wait to test out more recipes this week and next! I'm taking off a 1/2 day from work next Friday to finish preparing everything I can't make in advance and then dropping everything off at Youngblood at 6pm (an hour before the party) so I can rush home, get ready and head back for the par-tay!


I had some very ripe bananas about to go bad and what better way to put them to use than to make banana nut bread? Or muffins, in my case. I used the recipe from the Damn Tasty Vegan Baking Guide and added an extra mashed banana and some chopped walnuts. Superb. These were fluffy and so banana-y (not a word but I don't care) with just the perfext taste and texture. I'm going to share some with the receptionist/office assistant at work, since she has to put up with so much from the arrogant jerks we work with.


Oh, here's my pretty new bike! Her name is Gypsy and she is going to take me around town and hopefully to work (after taking MARTA halfway). I'm hopefully going to have some time Saturday to take her to some bike shops and see about getting her converted to a fixed gear. I'm psyched to go bike riding and I have much thanks to give Lori's husband, Jared, for helping me know what to look for, reading craigslist ads I sent him, etc. Woohoo! I owe you baked goods!

12 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Hehe I love how you name your bike! Such a cute idea-- I'd copy you, but I don't want to get too attached to my bikes, as TWO have been stolen from me in the past year!!! (Ugh, that's what happens when you live on a college campus, even with a strong U-lock!)

Gosh I wish I lived in Atlanta so I could attend that party, even if it was just so I could sample your cheezeball. (Never had a vegan cheezeball!)

And now I am going over to fatfreevegan to find that eggplant soup, since I have a big ole egglant here and don't know what to do with him (or her?).

Glue&Glitter said...

Hurrah! I'm so glad you're excited! We are, tooo!

Celine said...

you named your bike too! I think I love you. the old one I have is Tortilla, the newer one is Berenice. nice to meet you, Gypsy. :)

Vegan Invasion! (Ashley Nicole) said...

Celine: The love is shared!!
Tortilla!!! That's too cool.

ChocolateCoveredVegan: That suxs about your bikes being stolen!! It's terrible having things taken from you, such a horrible feeling! I found the cheezeball recipe on vegweb, it sounds really simple and tasty so I will post the results once I make it this week!
Oh and yes, make the soup!!

jRoq said...

You are so welcome. I can't wait to see your bike!

Jes said...

Love the bike! If you need help converting it, let me know! Or anyone at Sopo would love to lend a wrench. :)

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

awesome bike girl!!! i have a guitar that color!
that is so weird you made that banana bread recipe, cos I did too this past week. I also added an extra mashed banana and walnuts. Crazy!!!
i'm excited about the ICE pre-party. I haven't been able to test much of anything, since school is making me so crazy busy, but i have a general idea of what i'm making.

vegan addict said...

Oh my gosh! I love your new bike! It's too cute! I have been looking for a bike as well, and now I am more excited. Have fun riding. I hope that you will post pictures from the craft event (ahem...food and crafts!).

Liz² said...

that's so exciting, making vegan food at a craft fair! and also your banana muffins look soooo tempting. and also, I missed so many of your posts but they all look scrumptious and you clearly have the awesomest cake stand ever.

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

I love the name of your bike! Gypsy... How cute!

That eggplant soup sounds fantastic. I am definitely making that on the next chilly evening!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh man, I wish I could attend that craft fair! All those fun crafts, plus your vegan treats!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments about my cupcakes. You are such a sweetie!