Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Spanish, Chinese & kinda Cajun


To answer your question, yes, these are the best vegan chocolate chip cookies ever. Best chocolate chip cookies of any kind, really. I've made the same recipe before (from Vegan with a Vengance), but they've never turned out this good. They're sitting pretty in my cake stand.


Last week I was craving some Spanish food and took a peek at what I had in my pantry and fridge. I had soaked black beans the night before and just needed to cook them. So I got them in a pot and let them boil until tender and tasty (especially after I added a little salt and garlic powder to them). I grabbed some short grain brown rice and before I started cooking it, I noticed a little recipe on the back for Spanish rice! Killer! So easy, too. Just had to saute for a minute an onion and garlic (3 for me!) w/ some bell pepper I diced, then I added 1.5 cups of the short grain brown rice, a vegan bouillon cube, pinch of cayenne pepper and 3 cups of water. I brought it to a boil and let it simmer for 30 minutes. I added a can of fire roasted dice tomatoes at that point, stirred it in and let it simmer for another 20 minutes.



Yes. Total Success. I was eating it right out of the pot and had to stop myself to save my appetite for dinner. I made tostones (fried plantains) after the rice and beans were done and plated it up with a little lettuce and tomato to eat along w/ everything. We cleaned our plates. Tostones don't reheat very well, so I try just to eat them as soon as possible. I still have another plantain I need to use and I'd love to find a new recipe for them other than the typical frying or baking. I'm really interested in incorporating them into something. Any suggestions?


Later in the week, after a hectic morning which resulted in my lunch being left at home, I decided to order up some Green Sprout since I have the puppies with me at work. Thankfully I'm within their delivery area or else I'd be stuck with lame not tasty choices for lunch. We used to order from Green Sprout once a week when we lived in Midtown! Now that we're further away, we try to eat there whenever we're in the area. I decided on the mango bubble tea and the vegetable lo mein. MMM, everything was delicious as always and I just love that everyone who works there is super friendly.


I was feeling very uncreative this past Sunday night, so I sat down and flipped through my cookbooks and decided it was high time I make the Cajun Tofu out of YRR. I had to cut down on the cayenne pepper it calls for, since Mondo can't hang with the heat. It turned out fantastic and it reminded me of a cajun fried fish type meal so I made some tartar sauce to go on the side (or top, as pictured). It was more of a sun dried tomato tartar sauce, since I had made sun dried tomato couscous (which was just way too easy, btw) and worried that a traditional tartar sauce wouldn't work with the sides I served.

I double battered the tofu and Mondo liked it so crispy, but it had one coat too many for me. Next time I'll do a batch of one batter coat for me and two for him. We were so full after we ate that even while we were lying in bed hours later
we were talking about how stuffed we were!

10 comments:

Leigh said...

I really, really love your cake stand!

Celine said...

I want to steal your cake stand and its contents!

pleasantly plump vegan said...

that cake stand is too freakin cool. that is my kind of stuff. if i ever come over, you better hide it cos i might have to take it.
Jared and I have only given Green Sprout a try once. we thought it was good but not the best. maybe we need to give it another shot.

Vegan Invasion! (Ashley Nicole) said...

Thanks for all the comments about my cake stand!! I <3 it, too.

I definitely prefer Harmony over Green Sprout, but since we are hardly in that area we have only eaten there about 5 or 6x since we moved here. Give Green Sprout another shot!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Sure, the chocolate chip cookies look good… but Oh my gosh, that cake stand! It’s the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!

I have no suggestions for plantains... I don't know that I've ever had a plantain :o(

But I do love fried bananas.

Jes said...

Cutting out coffee?!?!?! You're insane. I hope that goes well! I was unable to drink it for the 1st 3 weeks I was sick this month...it was hard.

And your Spanish food looks amazing! Tostones are the best!

vegan addict said...

Ok, so everybody has commented on your cake stand, so I will too! It is very pretty! I bet you could put a green bean in there and it would still look awesome.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Like everyone else has said... I love that cake stand!! So unique and beautiful.

Wish I could help you out with more uses for plantains, but the only way I've ever had them was fried. Still good though...

Mihl said...

What a cake stand! And those cookies, of course they are the best!

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

Whoa. YES, PLEASE!

And I agree with the above posters... The cake stand is too cool!