Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Update, Cookies & a Quick Meal


Sorry for this boring update, I felt like I've been seriously neglecting this blog that I have just started! I've been taking a kickass sewing class at Beehive Co-Op, which is keeping me pretty busy (and happy with all the wonderful ideas swirling through my head of future creations!). I also made some appetizers, as I mentioned before for the ICE pre-party. I didn't make as much as I had hoped to, but managed to make 2 good sized bowls worth of Tofu Spinach Dip (w/ diced water chestnuts and scallions) w/ tortilla scoop chips, a Cheezball (w/ lots of liquid smoke added and then rolled in chopped almonds) w/ Late July crackers and a LOT of yucca/black bean/yellow pepper/Vegan Gourmet monterrey jack quesadillas. I only heard positive things about everything I brought, so I am very pleased with the outcome! I only wish I would've gotten some photos of everything in presentation mode but I was running behind and completely forgot; it looked so beautiful sitting in its neon green serving dishes! The girls behind the party made gift baskets to say thanks for bringing food and mine contained a little potted plant, 2 adorable mushroom stuffies things, a headband, 2 pairs of earrings, 2 tea bags, a demo of the band playing that night and a thank you card! So super sweet!!
We came home, got spiffy and went back over to Youngblood Gallery for the par-tay and it was jam packed!! We watched the preview for the documentary Handmade Nation, listened to a band jam, drank some beer and walked around the store and looked at all the amazing things for sale. Mondo bought a big vinyl sticker he fell in love with (some zombie hand or something) and a magnet for me since I love magnets.


The next day was ICE and boy was it HOT and SWEATY out (I seriously think it was 103+ out that day). I wore a tshirt (bake and destroy!), skirt and flip flops and was dying. I forgot to wear sunscreen (yah, I know, so dumb especially when I have a tattoo sleeve) so I am super tan now. We had SO much fun. I bought a stuffed cactus in a terra cotta pot that I named Tex, A beautiful and colorful crocheted Day of the Dead sugar skull that I named Sugar and a mug (mine is a pretty pale green) from the rad Jeanette (behind Vegan Dish) that I have used like 12x since Saturday and I have plans to buy so much more from her. She is such a talent and she's vegan, which makes it all the more awesome. We bought lots of treats from Dulce Vegan, too. Yumm!!

I haven't been cooking that much lately, besides quick lunches and dinners but am feeling the bug to get back in the kitchen now that things have calmed down a bit. So I am looking forward to trying out all the recipes I've been drooling over.

Oh, the cookies at the top are some that I threw together last week when we were craving chocolate. They are the Chewy Chocolate-Raspberry cookies from Veganomicon but with added dried cherries and chopped pecans. Mouthwatering, I tell you...especially warm. I don't even want to imagine what they'd be like with a scoop of soy ice cream on the side.

I saw the other day on Leigh's blog this recipe for this. I had to try it that night because it sounded so good. I failed. I apparently used like 2x the pasta required for the recipe, so I did not get the ooey-gooey effect. It tasted good, though. I really like the idea of not using tofu or vegan cheese or nooch in the recipe and it was so simple to make! I'll get it right next time around for sure. I made some yummy collard greens to go on the side (I could eat greens for every meal, mmmmm). Eating the two together all in one bite was even more delicious.


At some point we went to World Peace Cafe again, I don't even remember when but it's been within the past 2 weeks (my brain must be melting from the heat). Meh. It wasn't very good this day...my tempeh reuben wasn't all that great (I make a much better one) and I think I found a piece of plastic in it. Not fun.


These were really the only things we enjoyed from our meals...the beverages. You can see my tattoo more than my drink, but I had a
Guayaki Yerba Mate iced tea and Mondo had a cream soda. So refreshing.



This coffee was really bubbly.



Hopefully my next post will much more interesting!!

7 comments:

Leigh said...

Aww, sorry about the pasta. I used about 1/3 of a regular package of pasta, and it looked like it was swimming in the sauce before it thickened up in the oven. I hope you try it again and love it!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

oooo, i love the stuffed plush
cactus . . . on a side note, if I was born a boy, my name would have been Max Cactus!
glad i had to study that day of ICE. I HATE being hot. kinda a tease that it would be called ICE.

Pink Theory said...

Lovely food! And I wished I had known about ICE, sounds like it was fun despite the Atlanta heat!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

How can you say your update is boring?! Any post that includes such decadent-looking cookies is anything but boring!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I thought the post was interesting :-) ICE sounds like it was a lot of fun! I just love crafty stuff even though I'm no good at it myself.

Happy Herbivore! said...

I <3 cream soda~!!!!

& those cookies look heavenly!

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

I am also a neglectful blogger, so no worries. Sometimes life gets in the way & blogging has to take the back seat for awhile.

Those cookies look goooood!